Originally from the Fulani tribe of West Africa (who are now dispersed across the Northern and Central parts of Africa too), Fulani tribal braids hairstyles are traditionally characterised by straight back cornrows parted down the middle often accessorised using beads.
As is always the tradition, black braiders are never ones to shy away from experimenting with different braiding styles and designs.
This often means that old styles are usually spruced up using new designs, braiding techniques and length/size variants.
Fulani braids haven’t been left behind and the new trendy way of doing Fulani braids features free-styled stitch feed in braids at the front with a love heart, star, butterfly or flip over design and beautifully done criss crossed cornrows with knotless braids at the back.
Basically half Fulani tribal braids and half knotless braids.
Black Beauty Bombshells is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program. At no additional cost to you, We earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
In this article, we’ll be teaching you how to tribal Fulani braids with knotless braids at the back featuring a detailed product list and the exact type of hair that’s used.
For this hairstyle you’ll need:
Before we get into the Fulani tribal braids tutorials, let’s answer some frequently asked questions.
What are Fulani braids?
Fulani braIds are a protective braided hairstyle that feature cornrows at the front and knotless braids at the back.
Why are they called Fulani braids?
Fulani braids were named after the Fulani tribe of West Africa who are currently dispersed across the Northern and Central parts of Africa. The hairstyle has since been passed down to different generations of women and cultures alike who have since made various modifications to date.
What is the difference between Fulani and tribal braids?
There’s no difference. Fulani is the name of the African tribe they’re named after. Fulani braids are therefore tribal braids.
How long do Fulani braids last?
Fulani braids can last for 4 to 6 weeks with proper maintenance in place.
How to do Fulani tribal braids with knotless braids at the back
Start by parting clean and stretched hair into 2 sections. The back section should have 3/4 of the hair and the front section 1/4 of the hair.
You can either start by doing the knotless braids at the back or the stitch feed in cornrow braids at the front.
If you prefer the former, part the hair into the desired size sections and apply a generous amount of shine n jam. Start braiding the hair and gradually feed in the braiding hair as you move along as is the norm in knotless braids.
Repeat the same process until you’re done braiding the back section.
As earlier mentioned, you can get as creative as you’d like with the stitch feed in braids at the front. Feel free to incorporate as many designs as you’d like.
Depending on the method you’ll use, always remember to be generous with how much shine n jam you’re using on your parted lines. The more sleeked down the parted line is, the more neater it will look.
After you’re done with your stitch feed in braids, lay the edges, apply your mousse and dip the braids in hot water (optional).
If you want to incorporate the love heart braided design or the butterfly one and you don’t know how to do it, we’ve got you covered.
Refer to the videos below for a detailed visual.
How to braided love heart design
How to do the butterfly stitch braids design
How to Tetris Fulani braids
Tetris Fulani braids are trending and we’re obsessed with them. Learn how to do them below.
How to boho Fulani braids
The boho knotless braids trend hasn’t been left behind in Fulani braids. Spruce up your Fulani braids by incorporating curly or wavy human hair into the knotless braids at the back.
Now that you know how to do this hairstyle, here’s 50 different Fulani tribal braids with knotless braids at the back hairstyles you absolutely need to try.
50 Half Fulani Braids Half Knotless Braids Hairstyles
1) Feed in Fulani braids
2) Tribal Fulani braids
3) Small Fulani braids with a star design
4) Small Fulani braids
5) Criss cross stitch Fulani braids
6) Tribal Fulani braids with a heart
7) Fulani braids with a heart
8) Tribal Fulani braids
9) Stitch Fulani Braids with a heart
10) Ginger Fulani braids
11) Fulani tribal braids
12) Stitch cornrow Fulani braids
13) Fulani braids with a butterfly design
14) Long brown Fulani tribal braids
15) Brown Fulani braids
16) Criss cross Fulani tribal braids with a heart
17) Criss cross Fulani braids
18) Criss cross Fulani braids with a heart
19) Mixed color Fulani tribal braids
20) Mixed color Fulani braids
21) Feed in Fulani Tribal braids
22) Criss cross Fulani braids
23) Criss cross Fulani braids with a heart
24) Fulani Braids with knotless braids
25) Jumbo Fulani braids
26) Jumbo Fulani braids
27) Fulani braids with a heart
28) Thigh length half Fulani braids half knotless braids
29) Thigh length Fulani braids
30) Fulani Braids with a heart
31) Freestyle feed in stitch fulani braids
32) Large feed in fulani braids
33) Fulani braids with curly ends
34) Feed in tribal braids
35) Half up half Fulani braids
36) Fulani braids up do
37) Large stitch feed in fulani braids
38) Blonde peekaboo fulani braids
39) Large feed in fulani braids
40) Freestyle tetris fulani braids
41) Large freestyle Fulani braids
42) Peekaboo Fulani braids
43) Stitch freestyle Tetris Fulani braids
44) Tetris Fulani braids
45) Feed in Fulani braids
46) Tetris Fulani tribal braids
48) Freestyle Tetris boho Fulani braids
49) Boho Tetris Fulani braids with human hair
50) Long Tetris Fulani braids
Which one of the Fulani tribal braids hairstyles will you be trying?
Check out these new trendy flip over Fulani braids hairstyles.