Bohemian braids/boho braids also known as goddess braids are braided hairstyles that feature curly hair bits added in different places along the length of the braid.
Before we jump into how to do bohemian braids and they type of hair that’s used, let’s look at some frequently asked questions.
What kind of hair is used for bohemian braids?
Depending on the length and size you’re going for, you’ll need 6 to 8 packs of Pre-stretched braiding hair and 2 to 3 packs of water wave or deep wave hair.
What is the difference between Goddess braids and bohemian braids?
There’s no difference between Goddess braids and bohemian braids. Contrary to what a lot of blogs are claiming, Goddess braids are in fact NOT thick cornrows but rather box braids with curly hair bits added along the length of the braids aka bohemian braids aka boho braids.
How long do boho braids last?
Boho braids short for bohemian braids can last for up to 6 weeks with proper maintenance in place.
Can you swim with Bohemian box braids?
Yes. You can swim in bohemian braids/ get your goddess braids wet. You will however need to wash your braids afterwards and do some basic maintenance.
How much do Bohemian braids cost?
Depending on the length and size of the your preferred bohemian box braids, bohemian braids can go as high as $250.
Black Beauty Bombshells is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates program. At no additional cost to you, We earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Hair and products used for bohemian braids
- 6 to 8 packs of pre-stretched braiding hair.
- 2 to 3 packs of water wave hair or deep twist hair.
- Shine n jam.
- A rat tail comb.
How to do bohemian braids
Bohemian braids are mostly done on traditional box braids or the increasingly popular knotless braids.
For the purpose of this tutorial, we’ll use the knotless braiding method.
If you’re still getting traditional box braids – they have a knot, you need to switch to getting knotless braids– there’s no knot as soon as possible.
Start by parting clean and stretched hair into your desired parts.
There are a lot of parting options to choose from such as the popular box braids parts, triangle parts, rectangle parts, circle parts and the freestyle parting method.
Most stylists prefer braiding the hair from the bottom as they move to the top.
Start by parting the hair at the bottom horizontally. Apply shine n jam on the horizontal line and use a rat tail comb to ensure that the part is neat.
You will then part the horizontal line into your preferred sizes and shapes and go in with some more shine n jam.
Shine n jam mainly aids with sleeking down the hair in your parted sections, taming flyaways and helps you get a good grip.
Using the horizontal parting method before doing your individual parts helps with uniformity unless you’re using the freestyle parting method.
After doing the above, you’ll jump right into doing the bohemian braids.
Start by braiding the individually parted section about a quarter of an inch and then gradually start feeding in the pre-stretched hair.
Do this continuously until you have a decent length braid formed.
You will then take your water wave or deep twist hair, separate the hair and run your fingers through it to loosen the curls a bit.
The water wave or deep twist hair will then be fed into the braid and put aside till the whole braid is formed.
Do this repeatedly until you’re done.
Finishing touches will involve applying mousse all over the head and laying the baby hairs/edges.
For a detailed visual, refer to the video below.
How to do bohemian braids (crochet method)
Unlike the first method where both pieces of hair are fed in using the feed in method, the box braids are done first.
The curly hair bits are then crocheted in several times until the desired look is achieved.
Note– this method takes more time but is a good alternative for people who don’t know how to do feed in braids.
This is also a great way to spice up old braids you’ve had in for some time after refreshing your braids.
For a detailed visual, refer to the video below.
Things to note about bohemian braids
- You can opt to use curly human hair bundles instead of curly braiding hair.
- Yes, overtime the curly hair bits added will tangle. Using human hair might significantly reduce the tangling.
- You can opt to add more curly hair bits along the length of the braids for a voluminous look.
- You can crochet in curly hair bits to achieve the bohemian braids look on old braids.
- Bohemian braids, goddess braids and gypsy braids are all the same thing.
- Braid the curly hair in at the end of the braids to achieve curly ends.
- It is advisable to not dip bohemian braids in hot water.
45 Bohemian Braids Hairstyles & Ideas
Now that you know how to do bohemian braids, let’s take a look at 45 bohemian braids hairstyles that are perfect for your next protective hairstyle.
1) Bohemian knotless braids
2) Blonde bohemian knotless braids
3) Brown bohemian knotless braids
4)Half stitch cornrows half bohemian braids
5) Blonde bohemian knotless braids
6) Bohemian knotless box braids
7) Blonde bohemian knotless box braids
8) Brown bohemian knotless braids
9) Half stitch cornrows half bohemian box braids
10)Blonde bohemian knotless braids
11) Bohemian knotless box braids
12) Half small feed in cornrows half bohemian knotless braids
13) Waist length boho knotless braids
14) Half zigzag feed in cornrows half bohemian braids
15) Large bohemian knotless braids
16) Ombre bohemian braids
17) Bohemian passion twists
18) Bohemian knotless braids in a side part
19) Bob bohemian knotless braids
20) Knotless bohemian braids
21) Bohemian knotless braids in a high bun
22) Bob bohemian knotless braids
23) Blonde bob bohemian braids
24) Mixed colors bohemian knotless braids
25) Bohemian knotless braids in a high ponytail
26) Half up half down boho braids
27) Honey blonde bohemian braids
28) Fulani tribal bohemian braids
29) Fulani bohemian braids
31) Blonde bohemian braids
32) Bohemian knotless braids updo
33) Ombre bohemian braids
34) Jumbo bohemian braids
35) Mixed colors tribal bohemian braids
36) Bohemian box braids
37)Tribal Fulani bohemian braids
38) Half feed in cornrows half boho braids
39) Tribal bohemian braids
40) Tribal bohemian braids
41) Bohemian knotless box braids
42) Jet black bohemian knotless braids
43) Half feed in cornrows half bohemian knotlesss braids
44) Bohemian knotless braids in a high ponytail
45) Bohemian knotless braids
Bohemian braids maintenance tips
- Wear a silk bonnet or silk scarf to bed at night.
- Wash your hair the same way you would if you didn’t have any braids in if you plan on keeping them in for longer than 4 weeks.
- Use a dry shampoo and cotton ball or cloth to clean your scalp if you don’t plan on washing your braids or an apple cider vinegar hair rinse to remove scalp buildup and dandruff.
- Apply mousse on your braids to tame flyaways and reduce tangling.
Which one of these bohemian braids hairstyles will you be trying?Follow Us