100 Back to School Braided Hairstyles for Kids
It’s back to school season again. Daily morning prep tends to be hectic when you factor in having to do your child’s hair from scratch.
Braids are an easy and effortless style that come in many different varieties and even allow you to accessorize your child’s hair in a lot of different ways.
We did a round up of different back to school braided hairstyles for kids for you to pick from.
Find a selection of simple and easy back to school hairstyles for kids and little girls from ponytails, knotless braids, and kids braids with beads to feed in braids.
If your kids are tender headed or you prefer styling your child’s natural hair, check out our selection of easy natural hairstyles for kids or watch the video below.
Kids braids preparation
Before you take your kids to get their hair braided, there’s a couple of things you’ll want to do:
1) Detangle your child’s hair using a detangling brush.
2) Wash their hair properly using a shampoo and water.
3) Use a conditioner to deep condition their hair.
4) Blowdry or stretch out your child’s hair.
5) Spray an anti itch spray on their scalp.
6) Buy the braiding hair that will be used. This step is optional and is dependent on whether your stylist provides the hair as part of the service.
The beads, strings and bows can either be purchased at your local beauty supply store, Amazon or your stylist’s salon.
1) Kids Braids with Beads
Beads are a great way to give your child’s hair an extra pop. Choose a mix of different beads, strings, and other accessories to create a simple but elegant and functional look. Different stacked beads on Fulani braids are often the best option.
Ponytails and Updos
Braided ponytails and up dos allow your kid’s hair to be kept neatly at the top or the sides. This style can also be accessorized using colorful beads, bows, and strings or even extensions. Some of the up dos come in an intricate style and simple feed in braids allowing your child to stand out.
Kids Box Braids
Box braids are a timeless style which are also easy to take out. Ranging from jumbo box braids, to box braids with a bob to curly box braids. These kid’s box braids will look great on your little ones.
Kids braids maintenance tips
1) Since kids play a lot, they’re bound to sweat a lot. This can easily lead to a lot of dirt and oil build up. You’ll need to routinely clean their hair using dry shampoo and a cloth or like you normally would for their natural hair using water and a shampoo.
2) Use an anti itch spray when their scalp starts itching.
3) Cover their hair in a silk scarf at night to keep the braids looking neat.
Braids can typically be kept in for 3 to 4 weeks. How long your child will keep them in can vary depending on their hair texture. Hair textures with a lose curl pattern tend to unravel fast and don’t hold braids in for long. To counter having the hair unravel fast after getting braids, avoid blow drying the hair too much before getting braids.
You can rotate these different styles throughout the school year to give yourself a stress free morning. Be sure to check out some of our favorite kids’ braids stylists on Instagram for these and more amazing simple back to school hairstyles for little girls. Gina, Latoshaa, November Love and Tylica.
Check our @blackkidscentral on Pinterest for more kid’s braided hairstyles and videos used to achieve some of these hairstyles.Follow Us
Monday 15th of August 2022
I want to learn from you
Tuesday 12th of July 2022
I want to learn from you
Wednesday 24th of March 2021
Neat and smart
Monday 23rd of September 2019
Something more simple. For little girls who 2 to 5 years of age, for me who is new to the task.
Saturday 11th of January 2020
Hey Doris, we might have something for you here https://blackbeautybombshells.com/blog/15-kids-natural-hairstyles/ .