Everything You Need to Know About Knotless Box Braids featuring 15 Knotless Box Braids Hairstyles
Preferred by many due to their pain free, light weight and tension-less nature, knotless box braids hairstyles are here to stay.
In this article, we’ll give you a detailed overview on knotless box braids and feature the all important questions such as; What are knotless box braids? Differences between box braids and knotless box braids, price, maintenance and how long it takes to get them done.
What are knotless braids?
Knotless braids are a variation of box braids that are pain free and cause less tension on the scalp, due to their lack of a knot commonly found in box braids.
Do knotless braids last longer?
Knotless braids can last for up to 6 weeks depending on how well you take care of them. With all braided hairstyles, things like your hair texture and maintenance go a long way in determining how long you’ll keep them in for.
Are knotless braids better?
If you are tender headed or simply hate anything that causes tension to your scalp, knotless braids will be better for you.
How long do knotless braids take?
Knotless braids can take about 5 to 6 hours depending on the size and length.
What’s the difference between knotless braids and box braids?
Knotless box braids are a pain free and tension-less variation of traditional box braids, where a knot isn’t used while braiding the hair since the braid is started using your own hair.
Knotless Box braids vs Box braids
As mentioned earlier, knotless braids are simply knot free braids. Unlike box braids where a knot is used to tightly secure the braid to your hair, in knotless braids, the stylist uses your own hair to start the braid and gradually feeds in the braiding hair as they move along.
The lack of a knot in knotless braids makes the braiding experience more pleasurable and pain free. With that said, traditional box braids are not all that bad. Advice your stylist to avoid braiding too tightly and you’ll also get to enjoy a beautiful protective hairstyle.
Knotless Box Braids Tutorial
Here are a couple of videos to give you an idea of how knotless box braids are done.
Knotless Braids on 4C Hair Tutorial
Knotless Box Braids: Pros
- Pain free. The lack of a knot makes knotless box braids pain free unlike in traditional box braids where tightly securing the knot to your hair can be painful.
- Tension-less. Knotless box braids cause no tension to the scalp unlike box braids.
- Neat. Knotless box braids are neater and have a more natural look.
- Arguably last longer than box braids.
- They’re not heavy. In knotless box braids, the hair flows naturally and isn’t bulky making them very lightweight.
Knotless Box Braids: Cons
- Look to ‘scalpy’.
- Take longer than box braids depending on the length.
- Some people found that their hair would grow out of the braid the longer they kept them in.
- They’re more expensive. Knotless box braids take longer than traditional box braids making them more expensive.
15 Knotless Box Braids Hairstyles
Now that you are armed with everything you need to know about knotless box braids, we did a round up of 15 knotless box braids hairstyles to inspire your next braided hairstyle.
1) Small Black Knotless Braids
2) Small Knotless Braids Updo
3) Knotless Braids with Purple Highlights
4) Small Blonde Boho Knotless Braids
5) Black Waist Length Knotless Braids
6) Waist Length Knotless Braids
7) Side Swept Knotless Braids
8) Micro Knotless Braids
9) Blonde & Black Knotless Braids
10) Micro Knotless Braids
11) Medium Knotless Braids
12) Medium Knotless Braids Updo
13) Half Up Half Down Knotless Braids
14) Extra Small Knotless Braids
15) Medium Knotless Braids
For maintenance, clean and moisturize your scalp from time to time. Use edgecontrol to lay your edges and anti frizz leave in conditioner spray to lock in moisture. Keep your braids wrapped in a silk bonnet or a silk scarf at night to keep them looking great.
Visit our Pinterest page for more knotless box braids hairstyles.